Texas RN to BSN Programs

Taking a RN to BSN program in Texas is said to be a wise choice for many registered nurses. why?  Nurses with a BSN will have more job options and opportunities to take on management and upper level roles in the future.

Texas Nursing Overview

Nursing in the state of Texas provides many career opportunities because of the shortage of nurses within the state. According to the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation,  Texas only has 720 nurses for every 100,000 people in the population. That shortage has caused the state to invest a large sum of money into nursing education, encouraging more students to study nursing to fill in the need throughout the state.

According to the Texas Hospital Association, the state invested $49.7 million in nursing education and educational programs so that more students are willing to obtain a higher education in nursing. Although the state has taken measures to combat shortages and the high demand for nurses, there is still a high demand for students in nursing programs because the state has a shortage.

Among the nurses working in the state, roughly 63 percent are working in hospitals. The other 37 percent of nurses work in clinics, dental offices, nursing homes and similar facilities that are designed to provide care to patients, according to the Texas Nurses Association.

Job Growth and Demand

The demand for educated nurses in Texas is growing as a result of shortages throughout the state. There is a high demand and a shortage of available professionals. As a result, job growth and opportunities to advance in the future are high when compared to other states.

Although the demand varies based on the location in the state and the number of nurses that the facilities require, the number of nurses compared to the population is low when compared to national averages.

While the high demand for nurses contributes to relatively high salaries, which average roughly $64,210 per year according to the Texas Nurses Association, inexperienced RNs receive a lower salary than the average. The Texas Nurses Association states that new RNs earn roughly $27,000 to $30,000 per year as a starting wage.

Benefits of a BSN

Obtaining a BSN will provide opportunities to advance in a future career and obtain a higher salary than a RN with an Associates degree. Nursing positions that require a higher level of education or experience will become available after obtaining the degree and opportunities to take on management roles may be an option in the future.

The benefits of a BSN include:

  • Higher salary
  • Career advancements
  • Opportunities to take on greater responsibility
  • More job options

Obtaining a higher education provides opportunities to grow in a career that has a high demand.

RN to BSN Programs

West Texas A&M University

The West Texas A&M University RN to BSN program is an accredited degree program that is available online for student convenience. The program is completed within one year and allows students to continue working as an RN during the course work.

The program allows students to start taking classes during any of the three semesters and it is completed when students obtain enough credits for the BSN degree.

Texas Tech University

The Texas Tech University RN to BSN program is completed when students finish 30 credit hours. In most cases, full-time students will complete the program within two years. The school does allow students to work on the degree part-time if requested so that it is possible to work study and classes into a busy work schedule. The classes are taken via the Internet.

University of Texas

The University of Texas offers a RN to BSN program that transfers credits from an associates degree into the program. Students can also qualify for the program with a diploma in nursing from an accredited program. The school allows students to take courses full-time or part-time based on student preferences.